Do you know how to whiten teeth with baking soda? Explore different ways of whitening teeth using baking soda with lemon, toothpaste, peroxide and strawberry fast or just in one day. Also, learn how to whiten teeth without baking soda. Furthermore, discover the dangers of whitening teeth with baking soda and how to avoid them. We have also included excellent illustrative teeth whitening before and after pictures.
Summary of Page Contents
- How to Whiten Teeth with Baking Soda
- How to get whiter teeth with baking soda
- Teeth whitening methods
- How to Whiten Teeth with Baking Soda and Peroxide
- How to Whiten Teeth with Baking Soda and Lemon
- How to Whiten Teeth with Baking Soda and Toothpaste
- How to Whiten Teeth with Baking Soda in One Day
- How to Whiten Teeth without Baking Soda
- Dangers of Whitening Teeth with Baking Soda
- Before and after Baking Soda Teeth Whitening Pictures
- Our References and Sources
How to Whiten Teeth with Baking Soda
Do you want to have whiter teeth without spending a lot of money on expensive treatments? This post explains how to whiten your teeth by use of baking soda. Remember that this should not to replace regular brushing.
How to get whiter teeth with baking soda
Method 1: Basic Method of how to whiten teeth with baking soda
- Mix the baking soda with water or lemon.In a small cup, mix about a half of a teaspoon of baking soda with a few drops of either water or lemon. Be sure that it is made a paste, thus it will be easier to use on teeth. For using the paste on your teeth, use a toothbrush or just fingers.
But if it is a bad stain that you want to get rid of, it’s then recommended that you apply the paste directly to stain and let it set for a period of about three minutes. Just like doing dishes, some of the stains requires a little extra scrubbing.
This is also the case with the stain that is found on your teeth, use a toothbrush to scratch away that last some dirt.
- For the best result, you may as well dry the tooth surface using a gauze before using the paste.
- If you want to have an overall whitening effect, then dip the toothbrush into a cup, cover the bristles using the soda paste and then start brushing.
- Alternatively, you can also dip a wet toothbrush directly into some of the baking soda, and the powder can attach itself to bristles; but, the taste of baking soda can be very much strong if you use the method.
- Brush your teeth for two minutes.Brush your teeth as you always do, but concentrate on getting the brush into cracks and the crevices.
Don’t brush teeth for a period longer than two minutes, as the baking soda is a mild abrasive and might start to erode the enamel on teeth. Ensure that no sideways destructive brushing happens, purely up and down.
- Make sure that you are making use of a soft toothbrush and thus low brushing forces.
- Also, be aware that the taste of the baking soda is not very pleasant
- Rinse.Spit out the baking soda and then rinse mouth using mouthwash. Give your toothbrush a rinse also.
- Repeat every other day.You should also repeat the process of brushing your teeth using the baking soda every day for two weeks. You will notice a difference in the whiteness of teeth after just some days, and a substantial difference in some of the weeks.
- After some weeks of brushing using the soda every second day, you should be able to cut back to doing it once a week. This is due to the fact that the abrasive properties of baking soda might damage the enamel of your teeth if it is used frequently.
- You should also understand that brushing your teeth using baking soda should not replace brushing your teeth using the regular toothpaste as regular brushing can assist to get rid of cavities, plaque build-up, and keep your breath to be fresh.
- Before starting the whitening using the baking soda, check with your dentist if the teeth are healthy enough to undergo the brushing by use of baking soda. Some of the patients might have defects of enamel mineralization that contraindicates the treatment because of an increased abrasive effect.
Method 2: Alternative Methods of how to whiten teeth with baking soda
- Mix baking soda with hydrogen peroxide.
Hydrogen peroxide is a perfect household product which can be used to effectively whiten the teeth. Simply mix about half a teaspoon of the hydrogen peroxide with a teaspoon of the baking soda into a paste which resembles consistency of the toothpaste.
Brush your teeth with the mixture, then let it be on your teeth for two minutes. Rinse off using lukewarm water.
Hydrogen peroxide is found at most drugstores and is sold in an opaque bottle so as to prevent it from reacting with light. Make sure that you have a 3% solution, which is safer for use orally.
Hydrogen peroxide makes a good antibacterial mouthwash. Dilute 2 parts of hydrogen peroxide with 3 parts of water.
- Mix the baking soda with lemon or even the lime juice.
Baking soda can as well be mixed with the fresh lemon juice, as the citric acid which is found in the fruits is an effective bleaching agent. Simply mix about half a teaspoon of the baking soda with half a teaspoon of the freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Brush the mixture onto teeth by use of a toothbrush and leave to sit on for about 3 minutes before rinsing thoroughly using water.
You should know that most dentists do not recommend the method, as the citric acid in juice is corrosive and can damage the teeth.
- Mix the baking soda with the toothpaste.
You can as well mix baking soda with your regular toothpaste to get the whitening benefits of baking soda, combined with strengthening and protective properties of the fluoride toothpaste.
Simply place the regular amount of toothpaste on your toothbrush, sprinkle some amount of baking soda on top, brush as usual.
Teeth whitening methods
As the enamel breaks down, it makes the yellow dentin underneath to be revealed. These particular remedies will focus on whitening of the teeth that have lost some amount of white enamel, but it’s still good to keep in mind that strengthening of the enamel is important.
1. How to whiten teeth with Baking Soda and Lemon Juice Paste
Sodium bicarbonate is mildly abrasive; gently scrubs away surface stains so as to return teeth to its whiter shade. It’s also very alkaline so we would think if you have an acidic mouth or takes a lot of acidic food, it could be of assistance in balancing out the Ph, which would be useful as the acid normally breaks down the enamel.
It will reduce the acidity of lemon juice, which also acts as a natural bleach of sorts. You should use a mixture of baking soda and water on some other days and use the lemon juice on other days, but don’t overdo it.
You will require
-10 teaspoons of the baking soda
-Enough amount of lemon juice or water so as to form a paste
-A clean toothbrush
Mix several amounts of teaspoons of the baking soda with enough amount of the fresh lemon juice to make a paste. Wipe teeth and any extra saliva off of them using a paper towel. Put some paste onto your toothbrush and then apply.
Leave the paste on for about one minute, then rinse, so as to avoid the acidic effect. If you are using water then you can leave it on for up to about 5 minutes.
2. How to whiten teeth with Baking Soda Strawberry, Salt Scrub
Strawberries are very high in Vitamin C, which might assist to break down plaque that is leading to your teeth to appear yellow. It also contains an enzyme known as malic acid, which might assist to get rid of surface stains.
The salt usually acts as an abrasive portion of paste, physically cleaning the stain-causing gunk and the baking soda is an extra touch, which can be chosen to leave out if you’d prefer.
You will require
- 1-3 large strawberries
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda (optional)
Mash berries into a pulp, add a pinch of sea salt and about ½ teaspoon of baking soda. Wipe extra saliva off teeth using a paper towel, and then use a generous portion of the mixture to a toothbrush and then apply.
Let the mixture sit on for about 5 minutes, then rinse. Do the process each night.
3. Coconut Oil Rinse
Rinsing your mouth using coconut oil is a unique remedy which people use to whiten teeth. It won’t make a difference by also “bleaching”, but lauric acid that is in coconut oil can do away with your teeth bacteria that is found in plaque which makes them appear yellow.
It is also supposed to promote the gum health and assist in keeping your breath fresh.
You will require 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil
In the morning, just before brushing your teeth, scoop out some amount of tablespoon or even a little less of coconut oil. You may either soften it, or just put it in your mouth.
Push, swish, and then “pull” the oil around your teeth for about 20 minutes, then spit it out, rinse using water, and then brush your teeth.
How to Whiten Teeth with Baking Soda and Peroxide
Gleaming white teeth indicates vitality to most people. But as we consume products such as tobacco or even the caffeine which might stain tooth surfaces, then the teeth appears yellowish and dingy.
Although the use of hydrogen peroxide products might lead to tooth sensitivity, you may also safely use a home hydrogen peroxide mixture to whiten teeth.
Using a paste that is made up of hydrogen peroxide and the baking soda can whiten teeth and soothe the sore gums. Brush by use of the paste daily or even use it a number of times a week just like a mask.
- Make sure that you’re using 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- Put some teaspoons of baking soda into a dish. Add some amount of peroxide and then mix it with the baking soda. Keep adding some amount of peroxide until you get a thick paste.
- Brush the paste small, circular motions for about two minutes on your teeth. You can as well apply it using the fingertips so as to stimulate gums.
- Brush the paste for some minutes or leave it on teeth for two minutes for better results.
- Rinse the solution off of teeth by swishing using pure water from a bathroom
- Rinse the paste off teeth.
How to Whiten Teeth with Baking Soda and Lemon
How to whiten teeth with Baking Soda, Lemon Juice and Salt
Lemon usually acts as bleaching agent due to its citric nature, salt is an anti – bacterial mouth wash and the baking soda is used to balance pH levels.
- Mix some amount of the baking soda, fresh lemon juice as well as salt.
- Use the paste to brush your teeth, followed by the regular toothpaste.
- Or you can use some lemon juice that is mixed with water on your teeth and leave on for three minutes, then brush teeth using a paste of baking soda that is mixed with water. Then rinse mouth with water.
- Alternately you may also brush teeth using a paste that is made with 3 drops of the calamansi or even the lemon juice in 1 teaspoon of the baking soda and some drops of water.
- Make sure that you rinse mouth well.
- Do the same process twice a week.
How to whiten teeth with Baking Soda, Lemon Juice and White Vinegar
- Mix white vinegar and fresh lemon juice in about 2 teaspoons of baking soda.
- Apply the paste on teeth.
- Brush your teeth then rinse using water.
- Repeat the process regularly.
- Or even use hydrogen peroxide instead of using white vinegar.
How to Whiten Teeth with Baking Soda and Toothpaste
Follow the following procedure to whiten teeth using baking Soda with regular toothpaste
- Mix 1 teaspoon of the baking soda with regular toothpaste.
- Use it to brush your teeth thoroughly.
- Or you may brush teeth using baking soda first then by regular toothpaste.
- Use twice a day for 3 days and once a week after that
How to Whiten Teeth with Baking Soda in One Day
Everybody wants white teeth. And while having good oral hygiene as well as regular visits to your dentist can greatly assist to keep your teeth looking good, sometimes you require an immediate solution if you want whiter teeth for a particular occasion.
There are many things that you do so as to get whiter teeth in just 1 hour as highlighted below to find out more. Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide mixture can be used effectively to whiten teeth in a few minutes! This is because baking soda is an abrasive which assists to scrub stains from teeth.
- To use, wipe your teeth using a dry towel and all the remaining saliva. Wet toothbrush and then dip it in baking soda. Then brush teeth as just normal, paying special attention to visible teeth at the front. You then brush for about two minutes.
- Be aware that, over a period of time, baking soda might wear down the protective enamel that is on your teeth. Thus, it is not a perfect idea to use the treatment every day. Stick to just using it twice a week for whitening results without damaging of teeth.
How to Whiten Teeth without Baking Soda
There are several professional treatments that are available that are expensive. Try the natural remedies with several ingredients which can be found in kitchen.
Basil is a herb that is very good for the overall health. Using the basil can give a complete oral care, not just the teeth whitening.
- Place some fresh basil leaves in the shade so as to dry.
- Grind them to a powder form.
- Use the powder instead of using toothpaste.
- Rub teeth with your cleaned fingers for effective results.
- Or mix it with regular toothpaste.
- Brush teeth by use of the toothbrush to do away with the yellow
- Use it regularly.
- Crush fresh basil leaves so as to make a paste.
- Add some dried orange peel powder and then stir well.
- Apply the paste on teeth evenly and fully.
- Leave for 25 minutes and then wash using water thoroughly.
- Do the process at least once daily.
2. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic technique that assists in achieving the overall health by curing several illnesses and whitening the teeth.
It gets rid of the bacteria and gingivitis so that you can get a happy and healthy smile. It has to be done in the morning just after you wake up before brushing teeth.
- Take a spoonful of oil such as Coconut oil or Olive oil.
- Swish the oil around the mouth.
- Pull the oil throughout your teeth to get rid of bacteria and other germs.
- Keep doing this for about 20 minutes.
- Repeat this process 4 times in a week till you do away with the yellow teeth.
3. Hydrogen peroxide
This is an old remedy which has been effectively used to whitening of the yellow teeth. But it contains abrasive nature which clears the enamel of your teeth but also gets rid of the topical stains and plaque of teeth.
If the lemon juice is mixed with the hydrogen peroxide, it wears down the teeth with its citric acid that in turn unlocks some of the calcium available in enamel and assists to whitening of the teeth.
- Stir hydrogen peroxide, salt and the lemon juice in a bowl so as to make a paste.
- Use the paste to brush your teeth.
- Again brush using normal toothpaste.
- Use the procedure not more than twice a week.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of the hydrogen peroxide, lemon juice and the white vinegar.
- Apply this on yellow teeth.
- Leave for 3 minutes.
- Rinse mouth with water and then repeat regularly.
Turmeric contains a strong anti-inflammatory property which assists to give relief from the gum problems.
It also contains strong anti-microbial which gets rid of all the germs and other micro-organisms, which prevents tooth decay and the gum disease.
- Roast turmeric for some minutes.
- Crush into a powder and then add some lime juice and salt.
- Mix well so as to make a fine paste.
- Apply the paste on teeth.
- Leave for some minutes and then rinse it off using water.
- Do the process regularly.
- Mix about ½ teaspoon of the turmeric powder with some amount of water so as to make a paste.
- Brush teeth with the paste and leave for about 3 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth using water till the yellow strains has been completely removed from the mouth.
- Do the process regularly.
Salt usually restores the lost minerals in teeth and this, in turn, assists in achieving whiteness. But it is harmful to the gums as well as the enamel. So, avoid regular use of the remedy.
- Use salt as tooth powder instead of your regular toothpaste.
- Alternatively, you can simply mix baking soda with salt and rub this gently on the teeth.
- Do this regularly.
Dangers of Whitening Teeth with Baking Soda
1. Baking Soda Can Slowly Erode the Enamel of your Teeth
Two of the most commonly used substances for teeth whitening are hydrogen peroxide and hydrogen bicarbonate. Hydrogen bicarbonate is a highly abrasive product which can permanently damage teeth if used incorrectly.
2. Baking Soda May Severely Damage Your Gums
If you use the hydrogen peroxide in a high concentration, not only can it damage the enamel but it can also lead to extensive damage to gums, which includes gum infection.
3. You May Accidentally Swallow the Baking Soda
Although enamel erosion and gum damage are issues that should never be neglected, there is nothing as dangerous as accidentally swallowing hydrogen peroxide, which might lead to extensive burns to the throat and the stomach.
4. There is Increased Risk for Tooth Sensitivity and Irritation
Actually, the risk includes enamel erosion. As a matter of fact, approved and over-the-counter teeth whitening treatments put you to a risk of having some degree of tooth irritation and sensitivity. Similarly, the household substances that people use to whiten their teeth, such as baking soda, cause the same problem of irritation and sensitivity.
Before and after Baking Soda Teeth Whitening Pictures
The pictures below show baking soda teeth whitening results. They were taken before and after
Our References and Sources
- 3 Natural Ways to Whiten Teeth at Home: http://everydayroots.com/teeth-whitening-at-home
- 7 Simple Ways to Naturally Whiten Your Teeth at Home: https://authoritynutrition.com/whiten-teeth-naturally/
- How to Whiten Teeth With Hydrogen Peroxide: http://www.wikihow.com/Whiten-Teeth-With-Hydrogen-Peroxide
- How to Whiten Teeth in an Hour: http://www.wikihow.com/Whiten-Teeth-in-an-Hour
- 16 DIY Natural Ways to Whiten Teeth: http://homeremediesforlife.com/teeth-whitening/
- The Dangers of DIY Whitening: http://www.tewkesburydental.co.uk/the-dangers-of-diy-whitening/
- How to Whiten Teeth With Baking Soda: http://www.wikihow.com/Whiten-Teeth-With-Baking-Soda