When pimples heal, they usually leave behind brown, red, dark or black blemishes called pimple marks or acne scars on your skin, especially your face. You can remove pimple marks from your skin naturally by applying home remedies in a few minutes or overnight for a few days or weeks. However, some scar removal medications and creams tend to get rid of pimple marks faster. Chemical peels and face masks can eliminate pimple marks in 2 days while therapies such as laser and microdermabrasion can remove the marks instantly or in one day from a dry or oily skin. So, what are the best options for pimple marks removal?
Summary of Page Contents
- What Are Pimples, Pimple Marks or Acne Scars?
- How to Get Rid of Pimple Marks on Face, Chin, Neck, Scalp, Chest, Back and Other Areas
- Home Remedies for Pimple Marks or Scars
- 1. How to Remove Pimple Marks Fast Using Lemon Juice
- 2. Baking Soda for Pimple Marks (Acne Scars) Overnight
- 3. Honey for Pimple Marks Removal at Home
- 4. Use of Potato Juice to get rid of Pimple Marks
- 5. How to Lighten Pimple Spots with Aloe Vera
- 6. How to Use Turmeric to Remove Pimple Marks
- 7. Cucumber Juice for Pimple Marks
- 8. Use Garlic to Remove Pimple Marks Quickly
- 9. Use Coconut Oil To Get Rid of Pimple Marks
- 10. Apply Olive Oil to get rid of Pimple Marks Faster
- 11. Put Toothpaste On the Pimple Marks to Eliminate Them
- 12. Use Tea Treat Oil to Remove Pimple Marks Fast
- 13. Other Home Remedies for Pimple Marks
- How to Remove Pimple Marks Fast, Instantly or Overnight
- How to Remove Pimple Marks in One Day or Instantly
- How to Remove Pimple Marks in 2 days
- How to Remove Pimple Marks in a Week or Two Weeks
- Home Remedies for Pimple Marks or Scars
- How to Remove Pimple Marks from Face
- How to Remove Pimple Marks for Oily Skin
- How to Get Rid of Pimple Holes or Pits (Depressed Acne Scar or Atrophic Acne Scars)
- Causes of Pimples on Face, forehead Neck, Cheeks, Scalp and other Areas
- How to Get Rid of Pimples on Face, Neck, Forehead, Chest Back & Other Areas
- Sources and References
What Are Pimples, Pimple Marks or Acne Scars?
A pimple is a small lesion on your skin that is formed when pores get clogged. Depending on its nature and appearance, a pimple may refer to a papule or a pustule, Pimples constitute a mild form of acne.
The other forms of acne include whiteheads and blackheads which are together known as comedones. Severe acne is mainly composed of nodules and acne cysts, which make up nodular acne and cystic acne respectively.
Usually, pimples are unsightly blemishes, especially when they are in open areas like your face, forehead, cheeks, chin or neck. Pimples may also occur on the scalp, on tongue, on lips, in ear, and on genitals (penis & penile shaft and vagina & vaginal lips)
Pimple marks or acne scars are usually red, brown or dark spots or blemishes left on your skin when pimples heal on their own or after treatment. They are equally hideous blemishes, especially when they are in open areas such as the ones mentioned above.
Having pimple marks, especially on your face, can lead to low self-esteem and affect your social life because you think you are not appealing. This necessitates the need to get rid of pimple marks fast in order to quickly regain your self-confidence and live jovial life.
How to Get Rid of Pimple Marks on Face, Chin, Neck, Scalp, Chest, Back and Other Areas
There are many ways of removing pimple marks, including natural home remedies, over the counter medications, prescription medications, and special pimple mark removal therapies. The choice of the method used depends on how fast it works, its cost and accessibility.
Home Remedies for Pimple Marks or Scars
You may want to get rid of your pimple marks naturally at home using home remedies. Generally, most of the home remedies are less expensive and more readily available with minimal side effects. Some of the common home remedies for pimple marks include the following:
1. How to Remove Pimple Marks Fast Using Lemon Juice
Lemmon juice natural bleaching properties which help lighten dark spots and marks on skin. It contains alpha hydroxyl acid (AHA), which is a great skin lightening ingredient that is present in most of the acne scar treatment creams.
- Extract lemon juice from a fresh lemon fruit into a bowl
- You can add a little water to the juice, especially for sensitive skin
- Use a cotton ball to apply the lemon juice on the pimple marks
- Wait until the lemon juice naturally dries on the affected skin.
- Rinse it off with cold water
- Repeat this procedure one every other day to fade off the pimple marks
Note: Always moisturize your skin after this treatment because lemon juice may dry your skin. Use a gentle moisturizer for your face to keep it young and dazzling
2. Baking Soda for Pimple Marks (Acne Scars) Overnight
Baking soda is an excellent and common home remedy for treating darks spots and scars on skin naturally and quickly. It has exfoliating properties by which it scrapes off the pimples marks, leaving a clear attractive skin. It gets rid of pimple marks in one or two weeks.
- Add two teaspoons of water to one teaspoon of baking soda
- Stir the mixture to make a baking soda paste
- Apply the paste onto the acne scars before bed
- Leave it on the affected skin overnight
- Wash it out in the morning.
- Repeat this procedure everyday evening for one to two weeks to get rid of the pimple marks.
Note: You can use rose water instead of pure water for better results.
3. Honey for Pimple Marks Removal at Home
Honey has many medicinal benefits, including antibacterial, anti-allergic, antioxidant, antiseptic properties. This makes honey an excellent home remedy for many skin problems, including removing pimples and pimple marks. Scars fast and permanently.
Honey not only fades away the acne scars but also naturally moisturizes the skin. For best results, use raw honey and avoid commercial honey to which harmful impurities may have been added. Preferably carry out this procedure before bed for overnight treatment.
- Rub a little raw honey directly on the pimple marks.
- Leave it on the affected skin overnight.
- Wash it out in the morning using clean lukewarm water.
- Repeat this procedure every day for a few days to fade away the pimple marks
4. Use of Potato Juice to get rid of Pimple Marks
A potato juices an effective home remedy for treating discoloration of the skin. It can clear dark marks left by pimples due to its bleaching properties.
- Grate a juicy fresh potato into small pieces.
- Apply the grated potato directly on the pimple marks
- Leave the potato pieces on the affected skin for a few minutes.
- Wash off the potato pieces from the skin with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this procedure daily for a few days to get rid of the pimple marks fast
Note: Instead of grating, you can cut a potato into thin slices and apply the cut surface of the slices on the pimples such that the juice spreads on the pimple marks.
5. How to Lighten Pimple Spots with Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a common and popular home remedy for many skin problems. It has many medicinal properties including anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and lightening properties. For this reason, it can be used to effectively remove pimple marks fast.
- Obtain a fresh juice aloe Vera leaf
- Cut and squeeze it to extract its juice
- Massage the gel directly into the pimple marks with your fingers
- Repeat the application two times every day to fade off the pimple marks.
6. How to Use Turmeric to Remove Pimple Marks
Turmeric can help remove dark spots, and acne marks from your skin. It is very effective in fading away dark spots, uneven skin patches, and acne scars. Also, it contains curcumin, which is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory property.
- Add a little water to turmeric powder to make a paste
- Apply it on the pimple scars in the affected skin area.
- Gently massage it for about a minute or two.
- Leave it on the skin for 30 – 35 minutes
- Wash it out with cool water.
7. Cucumber Juice for Pimple Marks
Cucumber is rich in is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, and folic acid and many other minerals such as potassium and magnesium that preserve the skin health. It also exfoliates the skin and destroys bacteria on it. More importantly for skin, it also contains silica, which helps brighten the skin and keep it healthy. Therefore, it can be used to clear dark pimple marks or acne scars quickly.
- Crush a cucumber to extract its juice.
- Smear the juice on the affected
- Leave it to stay on the skin overnight.
- In the morning, wash out the juice with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this procedure daily for a few days to get rid of pimple marks on your skin
8. Use Garlic to Remove Pimple Marks Quickly
Garlic has an antiviral, anti-fungal, antiseptic properties that can help in getting rid of pimples and pimple spots or marks. It also contains sulfur which helps heal the pimples and pimple marks faster.
- Crush a few cloves to extract their juice
- Apply the crushed on the pimple marks
- Leave it to stay on the pimples overnight
- In morning, wash the area with clean water
- Repeat this procedure every day for a few days to get rid of the pimple marks
9. Use Coconut Oil To Get Rid of Pimple Marks
Coconut oil can help fade off black marks on your face and your skin in general. It is also one of the best natural moisturizers that come with healing properties.
- Scoop a little amount of organic virgin coconut oil
- Massage the oil directly onto scarred skin with your fingers
- Leave it on the skin.
- Repeat this procedure daily for a few days to fade off the dark or brown pimple marks
Note: if the oil is too much on your skin you can wash it out with warm water or an all-natural cleanser after at least 30 minutes. Otherwise, you do not have to remove it since it I a natural moisturizer
10. Apply Olive Oil to get rid of Pimple Marks Faster
Olive oil helps keep the skin health because it contains iron and vitamins such as vitamin E. It is also rich in antioxidants. Due to its exfoliating properties, it can be used to get rid of the dark or brown pimple marks.
- Mix virgin olive oil, lime, and honey and add a little warm water to it
- Massage few drops of the mixture your skin.
- Leave on the skin for about three to four hours or just let it dry on the affected skin.
- Repeat this procedure once every other day to fade off pimple marks.
11. Put Toothpaste On the Pimple Marks to Eliminate Them
Most toothpaste brands contain silica, which soothes skin and heal damaged skin faster. It also contains baking soda which exfoliates Impurities and balances the pH level on the skin.
- Wash the affected skin with water and dry it with a towel
- Pat a small amount of the toothpaste onto the individual pimple marks
- Leave the toothpaste one pimple marks for about 2-3 hours
- Wash out the toothpaste using a damp warm washcloth
12. Use Tea Treat Oil to Remove Pimple Marks Fast
Tea treat oil has antibacterial properties that help fight the bacteria. It also has soothing properties that help relieve redness and inflammation caused by pimples and reduce pimple marks.
- Put some green tea leaves in little warm water for a few minutes
- Apply the wet tea leaves directly on pimple marks.
- Let them stay on the affected skin for about 30 minutes
- Repeat this procedure daily for about 2 weeks to get rid of pimple marks
Note: Do not use tea tree oil if you have sensitive skin.
13. Other Home Remedies for Pimple Marks
The following stringent
- Apple cider vinegar
- Sugar Scrub
- Egg white
- Cocoa butter
- Rose-hip oil
- Fenugreek seeds
How to Remove Pimple Marks Fast, Instantly or Overnight
1. Laser Treatment for Pimple Marks or Scars
Laser treatment. It is an outpatient procedure that entails using a laser beam to eliminate dark or brown spots. It is a very fast way of removing pimple marks. It takes between 15 to 60 minutes to get rid of the pimple marks, depending on the number and severity (depth) of your pimple marks
It might take a number of treatments to fade the pimple marks completely. Usually, mild shall pimple marks require just one treatment while severe deep marks may remove completely after up to three treatments
2. Microdermabrasion for Pimple Marks Removal
Demarcation, which is also known as microdermabrasion, is a cosmetic procedure for the skin that entails the removal of outer layers of skin. The procedure is carried out using a rapidly revolving abrasive tool.
Demarcation can be used to improve the appearance of pimple marks or acne scars. It can also be used to remove other skin problems such as stretch marks, and wrinkles.
The advantage of microdermabrasion is that it works on all skin types and colors and does not cause scarring. However, it is not an effective way of dealing with deep-seated skin discoloration, including pimple marks.
3. Use of Chemical Peels to Remove Pimple Marks
A chemical peel is a cosmetic technique in which a chemical solution is applied to the skin, caucusing it to exfoliate and eventually peel off. The procedure leaves a new, regenerated skin that is clearer, smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin.
This procedure is used to remove colored blemishes such as brown or dark pimple marks and age spots. It is usually used to improve the appearance of the skin on the face, neck or hands etc. It is also used to get rid of other skin problems such as wrinkles
4. Skin Lightening Creams for Pimple Marks
There are so many skin lightening creams that are used to fade away pimple marks, both over-the counter and prescribed. Although skin lightening creams are generally expensive that natural remedies, they work much faster.
Generally, cortisone-based creams that have the ingredients such as Kojic acid, vitamin A and C and/or E are the best creams for effective pimple marks removal.
You can order for the creams online or buy them from a beauty shop near you. Some of the popular creams used to get rid of pimple marks include:
- Shiseido White Lucent MicroTargeting Spot Corrector (at about $130)
- GlamGlow Flashmud Brightening Treatment (at about $60)
- Advantage Mark Treatment (at about $8)
- DermalQuench Liquid Lift + Retinol (at about $98)
- Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare (at about $16)
- By Terry Cellularose Brightening Serum (at about $117)
- Murad Post-Acne Spot Lightening Gel (approximate cost is $60)
5. Skin Lightening Soaps for Dark Spots and Marks
Some soaps are specially made to lighten red brown or dark spots and marks on your skin. Such soaps can be used to fade away pimple marks.
The several different brands of skin lightening soaps, some of which are specially made for particular skins such as sensitive skins or oily skins. Your dermatologist can help you choose the best for your skin.
How to Remove Pimple Marks in One Day or Instantly
Since treatments that get rid of pimple marks really fast or in one day are usually relatively expensive. The common techniques that remove acne scars quickly include:
- Laser treatments. They can be used to get rid of pimple marks in one day or rather instantly. The treatment usually takes approximately 15 to 60 minutes, depending on the severity of the pimple marks.
- Microdermabrasion: This treatment is not only very fast but also effective for shallow pimple marks. It normally takes about 20 to 30 minute but can take a little more time, depending on the severity of the marks and the type of skin
How to Remove Pimple Marks in 2 days
When you want to remove your pimple marks in two days, go for:
- Chemical peels: a chemical peel is usually applied overnight by the next day when you remove the chemical peel, the pimple marks will have faded off. Usually, chemical peels are effective when you have shallow pimple marks.
- Skin lightening creams: Some skin lightening creams can remove your pimple marks just in two days. You have to get the right creams because most of them take up to two weeks to clear pimple marks.
How to Remove Pimple Marks in a Week or Two Weeks
Some of the treatments that can remove pimple marks in one or two weeks include:
- Home remedies: Some home remedies can get rid of pimple marks within one or two weeks.
- Skin lightening soaps: Some of these soaps can remove pimple marks within one or t weeks.
- Skin lightening creams: Skin lighting soaps usually remove pimple marks within one or week.
Most of these treatments will clear pimple marks within one to two weeks. However, they can take a little longer depending on the skin type and severity of the scars, especially if they are deep-seated in the skin.
How to Remove Pimple Marks from Face
Pimples and pimple marks tend to affect the face more than other areas of the skin. Unfortunately, it so happens that your face is an open and delicate area that holds your pride. Hence it needs to be treated with a lot of care.
Therefore, the methods opted for removal of pimple marks from your face should not clearly safe. They should not irritate your skin or alter its pigmentation in an undesirable way.
Generally, natural remedies are known to cause fewer side effects that may affect your face. For this reason, it is recommended that you used natural remedies such as:
- Tomato face masks
- Aloe Vera face masks
However, if you may want to get rid of the scars fast, you may need to go for other options. In such cases, you can use laser treatments, microdermabrasion, chemical peels or skin lightening creams as long as they are safe.
How to Remove Pimple Marks for Oily Skin
Removing pimple marks from an oily skin may require special attention due to the excess body oils that such a skin produces. Some of the treatments used to get rid of pimple marks from oily skins include.
- Tomato Juice: Tomato juice is an excellent home remedy for treating many skin problems related to oily and greasy skin. Tomato face masks are often used to get rid of pimple marks on oily or greasy skins.
- Special Creams: There are special creams and skin cleansers which are tailored for removal of pimple marks from oily skins or greasy skins. Creams that can be used to get rid of pimple marks for oily skin include,
- Clinique acne solutions spot healing gel: It can be used to treat pimple marks on both oily dry skin.it contains 1.0% Salicylic Acid. It is allergy tested and is also 100% fragrance-free.
- Nomarks cream for oily skin prone to pimples: The active ingredients in this cream are alma (Indian gooseberry), aloe, mint, lemon, camphor arose, and Kayaputi oil (white tea tree oil).
Note: Many skin products labeled for acne-prone or oily skin may be too drying. Also be cautious with creams and cleansers that have added exfoliating properties, as they can be too irritating.
How to Get Rid of Pimple Holes or Pits (Depressed Acne Scar or Atrophic Acne Scars)
Pimple holes are the depressions left on the skin due to improper ways of removing pimples from the skin. They may also be referred as acne holes or pits, or depressed acne scars.
Treating depressed pimple blemishes is not easy. Laser treatments, chemical peels or face masks cannot be used to treat pimple holes. However, there are effective treatments for acne holes or pit-like pimple scars or blemishes. These treatments are strictly carried out by dermatologists and include:
- TCA CROSS treatment: This refers to the Chemical Reconstruction Of skin Scars (CROSS) using trichloroacetic acid (TCA). It is an inexpensive outpatient clinic procedure used to treat acne holes or pits (atrophic acne scars).
- Punch excision followed by dermasanding: Punch excision involves removing the pimple lesions and sutured closing it while dermasanding also called dermaplaning entails a surgical procedure in which outermost layer of the skin is scraped away.
- Punch Graft Acne Scar Treatment: This procedure involves cutting out the pimple scar using a small punch tool. Then, a small plug of skin, which is normally taken from behind your ear, is carefully placed in this space to fill it. The skin graft is held in place by means of sutures, steri-strips, or a special surgical skin glue until it heals.
Causes of Pimples on Face, forehead Neck, Cheeks, Scalp and other Areas
In order to understand best how to deal with and get rid of pimples and pimple marks, you need to first understand the causes and risk factors of pimples. Although the exact cause of pimples is not known, dermatologists have suggested some factors that may play a role. They include:
- Hormonal imbalance: This probably the most common cause of pimples on face and other areas. Hormonal changes may naturally occur during various stages, such as adolescence. However, the changes may also be triggered by pregnancy, menstruation, and stress. Hormonal imbalance may trigger abnormal secretion of excess sebum and other body oils from the sebaceous glands which cause clogging of pores hence the development of pimples. This explains why pimples are common among adolescents and pregnant women.
- Oily Skin Type: Your skin has glands that naturally produce oil to moisturize and keep your skin healthy. Your skin type determines the amount of body oils secreted. Oily skin generally produces more body oils, which may get congested fail to escape from the skin pores. This leads to clogged hair follicles and hence development of pimples
- Allergies Reactions: Allergic reactions on the skin may interfere with the normal functioning of the skin, leading to clogged hair follicles hence pimples. Allergies on the skin may be caused by the environmental factors, skin care and hair care products, and some medicines.
- Some Medications: Some of the medications prescribed for your health problems may trigger allergic reactions on your skin that may lead to the formation of pimples. Medications may also cause sensations such as itching, and as you scratch yourself you cause physical trauma that may cause pimples.
- Some Cosmetics: Some of the cosmetic products, including skin care or hair care products, may also cause an allergic reaction on your skin, leading to the development of pimples.
- Stressful Life: The physiological changes that occur when you experience continual severe stress may trigger hormonal changes. Hormonal imbalance may trigger secretion of excess body oils which lead to clogged hair follicles and hence pimples.
- Poor Hygiene: Poor body hygiene, such as failure to clean your body, may cause skin oils, sebum, dead skin, and bacteria to accumulate on your skin. The accumulated debris and oils may block your hair felines, leading to the formation of pimples on the skin.
- Poor Diet: The foods consumed may constitute a diet that that promotes the development of pimples and other blemishes. Too much of processed foods, fast foods or greasy foods can lead to a build-up of fats under the skin. This is likely to cause clogged follicles and hence development of pimples.
- Hereditary Factors: In some people, pimples are most likely caused by genetic factors that are inherited from their parents. Probably, this can be supported by the fact that it is common for pimples to run in families. In such cases, most or many members of the affected lineage develop pimples with similar characteristics.
- Physical Trauma: Physical trauma on the skin may be caused by frequent friction or rubbing of the skin, harsh scrubbing, trying to pick or squeeze other blemishes. It may also be as a result of pressure from helmets, backpacks, tight rollers may also cause pimples. The physical impact pushes skin and bacteria on the skin into the pores, causing them to get clogged and as a result, pimples develop.
How to Get Rid of Pimples on Face, Neck, Forehead, Chest Back & Other Areas
There are several ways of getting rid of pimples. They include natural home remedies and medications and pimple therapies, which are often faster. Here is the list of common ways used to remove pimples:
Home Remedies for Pimples
Most of the remedies used to get rid of pimple marks are also be used to treat pimples themselves. Some of the common natural home remedies for pimples on face, forehead, neck scalp, cheeks, and other areas include the following.
- Ice: Hold an ice cube on the affected skin for a couple of minutes daily to dry out a pimple fast
- Honey: Dab honey directly on the pimples for about 30 minutes daily to get rid of them
- Lemmon: Apply lemon juice on the affected skin for about 30 minutes to eliminate the pimples quickly
- Toothpaste: put white toothpaste directly on each of the pimples daily and let it dry on the skin to dry out and clear pimples fast
- Steam: Position your face over rising steam for a few minutes to open clogged pores and hence get rid of pimples fast.
- Tea tree oil: Apply tea tree oil on the pimples with a cotton ball and leave it for about 20 minutes daily to get rid of pimples
- Garlic: Rub the garlic on the pimples and leave it for about 5 minutes before washing it out. Repeat this daily to remove pimples.
- Baking soda: helps to get rid of acne fast
- Cucumber: Prepare and apply a cucumber paste on the affected skin every day for a few days to eliminate pimples naturally
- Papaya: Prepare a papaya paste and apply it on the pimples Wait for 15 minutes and wash it out to get rid of pimples fast.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Dilute some apple cider vinegar and apply it on the affected skin. Leave it on the skin overnight to get rid of pimples fast.
- Yogurt: Mix a little yogurt with lemon juice and apply it the affected skin. Wash it away after 15 minutes to get rid of pimples quickly. Repeat this twice a day.
- Aloe Vera gel: Apply the Aloe Vera Gel to the affected skin for 15 minutes and wash it out. Repeat this procedure every day.
- Olive oil: Apply and knead olive oil on the pimple scars before going to bed and leave it for about 15 minutes. Wash it out with clean water.
- Aspirin: Crush a few aspirin tablets and add a little water to make a thick Apply the mixture to the affected skin. Wait for 30 minutes and wash it out. Repeat this procedure daily to get rid of the pimples.
How to Treat Pimples
When you want to get rid of pimples faster and more effectively, you may need to use over the counter medications, prescribed medications and other therapies for pimple removal. They include:
- Over the counter medications for pimples
- Benzoyl peroxide
- Salicylic acid
- Azelaic acid
- Prescription medications for pimples
- Antibiotics e.g tetracycline
- Birth control e.g. use of a combination of norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol
- Laser therapy
- Chemical peels
Sources and References
- Skin Conditions: Teenage Acne: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/teenage-acne#1
- Home Remedies To Fade Acne Scars, Pimple Marks To Get Flawless Skin: http://lookgood.expertscolumn.com/article/11-home-remedies-fade-acne-scars-pimple-marks-get-flawless-skin
- How to Get Rid of Acne Scars Fast: http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Acne-Scars-Fast
- How To Treat Oily Skin, Hormonal Acne and Post-Acne Marks: https://beautyeditor.ca/2010/03/31/how-to-treat-oily-skin-hormonal-acne-and-post-acne-marks
- Punch Graft Acne Scar Treatment: https://www.verywell.com/acne-scar-treatment-punch-graft-15578
- Tricks for Getting Rid of Pimples (Almost) Overnight: http://www.seventeen.com/beauty/makeup-skincare/a45990/how-to-get-rid-of-pimples-overnight/
- How to Get Rid of Pimples Fast: http://www.top10homeremedies.com/how-to/how-to-get-rid-of-pimples-fast.html
- How to Remove Pimple Marks Naturally & Fast? http://lethow.com/home-remedies/get-rid-of-pimples-and-pimple-marks/
- 10+ Herbal / Ayurvedic Acne & Pimple Treatment Creams in India: http://acnemantra.com/best-herbal-acne-pimple-cream-india/
- How to remove pimple marks, scars & pimple spots using home remedies: https://beautyhealthtips.in/best-home-remedies-to-remove-pimple-marks-pimple-spots-pimple-scars/