Are there special meanings to birthmarks? This post explores the various meanings ascribed to birthmarks based on their location on the body, color, form or shape. It also highlights the myths, spiritual and superstitious meanings given to these birthmarks. Pictures of these beauty spots are also included at various sections in the post. Read on to discover much more about birthmark meanings.
Summary of Page Contents
- What Do Birthmarks Mean?
- What Is a Birthmark
- Types of Birthmarks and Their Causes
- Birthmark Location Meanings
- Birthmark Shape Meanings
- Birthmarks and Past Lives
- Birthmarks Spiritual Meaning
- Red, White, Strawberry and Green Birthmark Meanings
- Birthmark Meanings Astrology
- Does Everyone Have a Birthmark?
- Birthmark Myths and Superstitions
- Sources and References
What Do Birthmarks Mean?
What does a birthmark mean? Birthmarks have many meanings which differ from one community to another, depending on the different cultural backgrounds in the world. The meanings of birthmark have a bearing on the teachings and experiences of a certain community. These teachings and experiences range from myths and tradition to religion and superstition. There are assumptions that birthmarks represent wounds that were inflicted in a past life, or how a person died in a past life. Other assumptions claim that birthmarks indicate luck or omens. Furthermore, it is also assumed that birthmarks are just a result of what the mother did or ate during pregnancy. The curiosity about birthmarks never ends. To best understand what birthmarks mean in life, let us begin with the definition of a birthmark, the various types of birthmarks and their causes.
What Is a Birthmark
A birthmark is an unusual permanent mark on the skin which is usually present at birth or occurs a few weeks after birth. Birthmarks are also referred to as beauty spots or beauty marks. Birthmarks can occur anywhere on the body.
Types of Birthmarks and Their Causes
There are many types of birthmarks. Dermatologists classify birthmarks into two broad categories: vascular birthmarks and pigmented birthmarks.
- Vascular Birthmarks include Salmon patches, strawberry hemangiomas, and port-wine stains. They are as result of increased blood vessels in the area that is affected.
- Pigmented birthmarks include moles, cafe au lait spots and Mongolian spots. These birthmark types occur as result of excess skin pigment cells in the affected area.
Dermatologists do not exactly know what causes birthmarks. However, it is widely thought that some birthmarks are caused by hereditary factors although most birthmarks are not actually hereditary. Another possible cause of birthmarks is the “imbalance in factors controlling development and migration of skin cells” [wikipeadia].
Much as the actual cause of birthmarks may not be known, various meanings of birthmarks have been described over the years. Some of the meanings ascribed to birthmarks are based on the location, shapes, color, size form and appearance of the birthmarks. Others relate to past lives and reincarnation of human beings. They are usually explained in terms of spirituality, myths, and superstition.
Birthmark Location Meanings
The location or placement of a birthmark on the body is said to have a particular meaning. Here, we highlight the common birthmark location meanings. Note that the meanings may be the same for both genders or may be different for men and women.
Birthmark on Forehead Meaning
There are many meanings of birthmarks on the forehead depending on their exact placement on the forehead. A birthmark on the right side of the forehead means that the person has great brains. It means the person is very knowledgeable and can excel in his or her endeavors like education and career. If the birthmark is on the left side of the forehead, it means that the person is extravagant and irresponsible. The birthmark may also lie at the center of the forehead. Here, it means that the person is very attractive and will have so many relationships in life.
Birthmark on neck meaning
What does a birthmark on your neck mean? If you have a dark mark on the neck, on the back of the neck or on the throat, it means that you will be very successful in life. However, for you to get this success, you have to part with the ones you love and go away. Also, you have to bear the responsibility of these loved ones. Otherwise, you will not succeed in life.
Birthmark on Buttocks Meaning
What does a birthmark on your bottom mean? Birthmarks on buttocks may be of different colors which include green and brown birthmarks. These birthmarks found on buttocks have meanings that usually point to love and lifestyles of the individuals having them. The meanings are different in men and women. The meanings also depend on whether the birthmark is located on the left or right buttock.
- A man who has a birthmark on the right buttock has a difficult background. His character is full of negativity. He is not serious and tends to go for the easier options. He is not the marrying type and chooses to stay with his parents who he hopes will take care of him. In contrast, a man who has a birthmark on the left buttock is endowed with great personality and charisma. This guy understands well the meaning of true love. He is serious, caring and gentle in character. He is a very devoted husband who loves his wife and family. He is also dedicated to care and encourage the less fortunate in the community.
- A lady who has a birthmark on the right buttock is outwardly stylish and attractive to men. She is the so called “gold digger” as she easily gets offers from men. However, she is actually lazy, selfish and malicious. She is definitely not a wife material as she allows many men to revolve around her without settling on any of them. On the other hand, a lady with a birthmark on the left buttock is sincere and genuine. She is a humble and diligent girl who does not want to be a bother to others. Sadly, despite her financial success and good reputation, she finds it hard to get a man to marry her because suitors get scared of her strong personality traits.
Birthmark on Back Meaning
If your birthmark is located on the back, it means that you are frank and open to new ideas. You take other peoples suggestions and you are willing to change your stand for better suggestions from others.
Birthmark on Leg Meaning
If your birthmark is on any of your legs, it means that you are not independent. You always want other people, for example, your friends, to make decisions for you.
Other location birthmark meanings are as follows:
- Birthmark on Foot Meaning: You may also have a birthmark on your right or left foot. For men, it means that you like traveling and visiting new places. For women, it means that you believe in action than words.
- Birthmark on Toes Meaning: Birthmarks on toes have the same meaning as those on feet for men and for women.
- Birthmark on Stomach Meaning: If your birthmark located on the stomach or abdomen, then this means that you are a greedy and egocentric individual. This affects both men and women in the same way.
- Birthmark on Thigh Meaning: Whether you are a man or a woman, having a birthmark on your right or left thigh is a good sign. It means that you will take pleasure in a wealthy, prosperous and happy life.
- Birthmark on Chest Meaning: A birthmark located at the center of your chest is bad news. It means that you will not be lucky at all. You will be miserable throughout your life.
- Birthmark on Eye Meaning: A birthmark in, on or under the right eye means that you will make easy money, even without having to work very hard. A birthmark on the left eye is a sign of a womanizer for men. This type of man will have many illicit relationships.
- Birthmark on Head Meaning: You may have a birthmark on the back of your head that represents weakness, especially in women. If the birthmark is on the right side of your head, you will enter politics and be successful. However, if located on the left side of the head, it means that you will be poor and might not marry at all.
- Birthmark on Breast Meaning: For both genders, a birthmark below or under your left breast is a sign that you will be triumphant in all your endeavors. The one located below, or under the right breast represents good luck in your life.
- Hair Birthmark Meaning: If you were born with grey or white hair birthmark, there is every reason why you should consider yourself great. A grey or white hair birthmark is a sign of wisdom. It means that you will lead your life wisely.
- Birthmark on Shoulder Meaning: For both men and women, a birthmark situated on your right shoulder indicate that you are lucky. These individuals lead happy and successful lives. On the other hand, a birthmark of your left shoulder indicates financial difficulties.
- Birthmark on Ear Meaning: A birthmark on the year is a good sign. It means that you are blessed with good luck. These individuals are happy and prosperous in their lives.
- Birthmark on Cheek Meaning: Do you have a birthmark on either of your cheeks? If you are a man, a birthmark on the right cheek means that you have very strong feelings and attachment in the activities you engage in. A birthmark on the left cheek suggests that you have financial problems. For women, a birthmark on your right cheek is an indicator that you will you will enjoy your marriage life with your husband. The one on the left will suggest secrete hopelessness.
- Birthmark on Nose Meaning: People who have a birthmark on the nose tend to be creative and very diligent. They are successful in their careers and family lives. They are popular in the society because they extend their creativity and diligence to the community. However, such individuals have unpredictable characters.
- Birthmark on Lip Meaning: If a person has a birthmark on the lips, it generally means that he talks a lot and asks many questions. In case the birthmark is on the upper lip, it means that the person is full of charisma, charm and persuasion and is attractive especially to the opposite gender. When located on the lower lip, it means that the person is keen to study and also does his duties well and thoroughly. If the birthmark is at the left or right corner of the lips, it means that the person likes eating, especially on other people’s bills.
- Birthmark on Hand Meaning: Having birthmark on your hand, whether left or right hand, is a sign that you are talented and you will be very successful in life.
- Birthmark on Heel Meaning: If your birthmark is located on your heel, it means that you are predisposed to falling out with your friends easily. You will lose friends very readily and make many enemies in your life.
- Birthmark on Arms Meaning: For a man, it means that he loves his family and that he likes staying at home to take care of the children and teach them good discipline. If it is a woman, it indicates that she is an independent woman who loves and natures her career.
- Birthmark on Jaw Meaning: For both men and women, a birthmark on the jaw shows that they are not healthy and they live a bad lifestyle.
- Birthmark on Finger Meaning: For both the genders, the birthmarks mean that they strive to make good decisions and are independent individuals.
- Birthmark on Chin Meaning: A birthmark on the chin of a man means that he is very temperamental. For a woman, a birthmark on the chin indicates that you will be the one to support and provide for your family.
Birthmark Shape Meanings
The myths and superstitions regarding what birthmarks mean also delve into birthmark shape meanings. However, the shapes of birthmarks may have a particular meaning to some people and a different meaning to others. To some people, these shapes do not have any meaning at all. It all depends on the cultural teachings and religious backgrounds and beliefs, which vary across different societies.
Heart Shaped Birthmark Meaning
If you have a heart shaped birthmark, it means that you will live a life full of love and fulfillment. It means that you will fall in love with your soul mate and enjoy all your life together. Furthermore, it also means that you will love your friends so much and have lots of fun with them. In short, a heart shaped birthmark points to sincere and fulfilling love in your life.
Diamond Shaped Birthmark Meaning
Do you have a diamond shaped birthmark? It is an indication of wisdom, stability, harmony and togetherness. It means that the individual bearing it will have a good sense of wisdom and enjoy living together with his neighbors in harmony. Peace and tranquility will always prevail in his neighborhood.
Butterfly Birthmark Meaning
A butterfly shaped birthmark means that you are an individual who is always filled with hope. It means that you can always rely on the fulfillment of the things you hope for in life and that you are never pessimistic or anxious about the future.
Birthmarks and Past Lives
The relationship between birthmarks, past lives and reincarnation were first studied in detail in the 1960s by Dr. Ian Stevenson. “Dr. Stevenson’s research lays in his discovery that many children who remembered their past lives bore birthmarks located on their bodies which correlated with the deaths they claimed to have experienced prior to being re-incarnated” [speakingtree.in].
There are two reasons that may explain why past-life damages manifest themselves as birthmarks in babies. One of the reasons could be that the period between death in a past life and reincarnation is too short such that the wounds will not have healed before the ‘rebirth’ of the affected individual. The other one could be that, after reincarnation, it is necessary for the individual to reconnect with the past wounds and trauma so that he/she can be healed and set free from it.
Birthmarks are where you were killed in your last, past or other life.
There is a common assumption the birthmarks are where you were killed in your past life. For example, an online user comments: “I have a birthmark on my left calf that looks like the outline of Alaska…I suppose that means I died in Alaska” Another one says that “[I have a]boat shaped birthmark on my stomach, with its own steam. So I assume a boat crashed into me.” This shows that he might have died in a river, lake of the ocean, where boats are used.
Other common past-life birthmark meanings include the following:
- Torture Remnants: This represents a birthmark that resulted from torture in an individual’s past life. It is mainly as a result of a band tied tightly on the individual’s head in order to make him/her confess or suffer death. This was a very common method of ancient torture.
- Suicide Wound: This is a past-life birthmark which means that the individual with it committed suicide in his/her previous life by shooting himself in the head with a gun.
- Stab Wound: it is a birthmark on the body that is curved to some extent. It indicates a fatal wound that was caused by a knife of a similar weapon. It is a reminder of having been stabbed this way in a past life.
- Bullet Wound This represents a birthmark that was inflicted by a single bullet in a past life. The irregular dark spots around the birthmark represent the burns caused by the gun prouder after being short.
- Scattered Shots: These scattered dotted birthmarks on the body represent sprayed bullets. They remind the affected individual of having been sprayed by bullets in a past life.
- Plague Bubo: This is a past-life birthmark that resembles a wart. It reminds about the Black Death (Bubonic plague). It usually takes very many reincarnations to get fully healed.
- Leprosy patch: This is a past-life birthmark which looks like a patch on the skin. It reminds an individual about the spread of leprosy in the past life. The patch represents the spot where the leprosy first broke out. This birthmark also takes many lives to heal.
- Branding Mark: Chinese beauty mark legends describe meanings ascribed to birthmarks too. It was common in China to brand Chinese activists with a hot iron in order to mark them as enemies of the Chinese state. Such birthmarks manifest themselves as patches in the back of the neck. This was the location of the brands made on the state enemies in the ancient China.
- Failed Surgery: This birthmark represents botched primitive surgery in past life. Ancient surgeries were often fatal because of lack of adequate knowledge and experience about surgery.
- Poisoned Arrow: This past-life birthmark has a central patch that is surrounded by a discolored circular band. It looks like a poisoned arrow wound. It represents an arrow injury that the individual sustained without dying in a past life. The birthmark serves to remind the individual of the ordeal he underwent in that past life.
- The Scalped: This is a birthmark on the scalp where hair cannot grow. It represents a wound formed after a patch of hair was removed from the scalp with force. This birthmark reminds an individual how he/she was painfully scalped in his/her past life.
- Healed Burn Mark: It is a red birthmark on the body used to remind an individual of having been burnt by fire in a past life. The extent of healing is marked by the darkness of the wound. If the wound is very dark, it follows that the wound has not healed so much, meaning that it is from a recent past life.
- Healed Burn Mark: It is a bright birthmark on the body. It reminds the individual having it of having been burnt by fire in a past life. A more healed wound is marked by a brighter birthmark, meaning it is from an older past life.
- Speared Through
Birthmarks located in the eye point to having been speared through the eye in a past life. This was a very popular way of assassination in the past. Such assassination would be carried out when the victims were asleep. It was considered as an effective means of assassination because the spear through the eye would go straight to the brain.
Birthmarks Spiritual Meaning
There are a number of spiritual meanings ascribed to birthmarks by different communities in the world. Examples of spiritual meanings of birthmarks which are common include the following:
- Angel kiss birthmarks: Birthmarks located on the face are sometimes called angel kiss birthmarks because they are believed to be angels’ kisses.
- Devil’s signature birthmarks: Sometime back, a birthmark was thought to be a devil’s signature. Due to this belief, people with birthmarks were stigmatized and secluded.
- Spiritual beating birthmarks: Some communities believed that Mongolian birthmarks were as a result of spiritual beating to drive the baby from the mother’s womb.
Red, White, Strawberry and Green Birthmark Meanings
Red Birthmark Meaning
If you have a red birthmark on body, it is a way of remembering that you were once burnt in a past life. The red birthmark may be located on chin, in neck or at the back of the neck. It may also appear on the forehead, eyelid, upper lip or between eyes.
White Birthmark Meaning
A white birthmark, especially on the stomach, is believed to have a connection with past life. It indicates a trauma suffered in past life when one was a criminal and was killed by a bullet or by some other means.
Strawberry Birthmark Meaning
Depending on where they are located, strawberry birthmarks have various meanings. Those that are close to the mouth mean that the individual will have a lot of wealth, fulfillment and joy in life. If it appears on the forehead, it means that the individual will be attractive, especially to the opposite gender, and may have many love affairs. They may also occur on the chin in which case they mean that the person will be very successful in life.
Green Birthmark Meaning
In case you have a Mongolian green birthmark, then its meaning is to point you to the identity of your ancestry. It helps to determine your ancestral roots by tracing similar marks on the likely ancestral lineage.
Birthmark Meanings Astrology
Some birthmarks are used in birthmark astrology to foretell about an individual. The birthmarks are usually grouped in terms of the size, location color and form. The information is then used to reveal the personality or predict the future of the affected person.
Does Everyone Have a Birthmark?
There are very many questions and common remarks concerning birthmarks and their meanings. Some people wonder what it means when a person does not have a birthmark at all. Others may have two or more birthmark and still want to know what this means.
- Does everyone have a birthmark? Although very many people have birthmarks, not all people have them. Some people are understandably curious about meanings of birthmarks. If birthmarks really have meanings, what about those who do not have these birthmarks? Does it mean that nothing will happen to them or that they never had past lives?
- No birthmark meaning: Having no birthmark has different meanings to different people depending on their beliefs. For example, people who accept that birthmarks have past-life meanings believe that if you do not have a birthmark, then you did not have a past life. Those who accept birthmarks as indicators of fortune may think that an individual without birthmarks is not lucky. Those who regard certain birthmarks as omens may think that a certain bad thing will happen to you, deepening on the birthmark that you have. However, other people do not ascribe any meaning to not having a birthmark.
What does it mean when you have two birthmarks?
It is believed that when you have to similar birthmarks, the extent of the meaning of one of them is doubled. For example, if the birthmark means you will be lucky, then two of them means that you will be extremely lucky. However, if the birthmarks are different, then the distinct meanings apply to the individual who has them. To others, having a single, two or more birthmarks has no meaning at all.
Birthmark Myths and Superstitions
The birthmark meanings discussed in this post are just based on myths and superstitions of various communities around the world. The truth about the birthmark meanings is yet to be explored and determined. So if you have a birthmark that is ominous, you need not worry yourself so much.
Lastly, in case you know other birthmark meanings which are not discussed in this post, kindly feel free to share them in the comment section below. It will surely be very helpful to those who are diligently looking for the meanings of their birthmarks. Also, feel free to ask birthmark meanings questions or answer the questions that may have been asked by others in the comment section. Thank you all in advance for participating responsibly.
Sources and References
- Notes Taken From Astro Uncle – Pawan Sinha’s Shows: https://www.astro-vani.com/blog/birthmarks/
- What Does Your Birthmark Mean: http://www.boldsky.com/yoga-spirituality/faith-mysticism/2013/what-does-birthmark-mean-034713.html#slide16207
- What does your birthmark say about you? http://www.speakingtree.in/allslides/what-does-your-birthmark-say-about-you
- Who were you in the past: http://www.healpastlives.com/future/rule/ruremark.htm
- Strawberry Birthmark Meaning, Causes, Pictures & Myths: http://www.beautyzion.com/birthmarks/strawberry-birthmark-meaning-on-face-pictures-myths/