Did your lover just give a hickey and you are uneasy with it? Worry no more. Discover how you can get rid of a hickey quickly with warm or cold compress. Also, learn how you can remove a hickey in minutes using peppermint, vinegar, alcohol, cabbage leaves and many other home remedies. This post presents several methods you could employ to remove love bites so that you can choose one that suits your situation.
Summary of Page Contents
- What is a hickey?
- How long do hickeys last?
- Ways of getting rid of a hickey Fast
- 1. Apply a Cold Compress (ice)
- 2. Apply a Warm Compress
- 3. Use Finger Massage to Remove the Hickey
- 4. Apply Cabbage Leaves to the Hickey
- 5. Massage the Hickey with Apple Vinegar
- 6. Apply Peppermint to the Affected Area
- 7. Cover the Hickey with a Banana Peel
- 8. Roll a Warm Egg on the Hickey
- 9. Cover the Hickey with Poultice of Mustard
- 10. Cover the Hickey with Coffee Powder
- 11. Massage Fresh Turmeric into the Hickey
- 12. Massage Aloe Vera Extract into the Affected Area
- 13. Apply Alcohol to the Affected Area
- 14. Consume a Lot of Vitamin C or Apply it on the Hickey
- 15. Eat Lots of Vitamin K or Apply it on the Hickey
- 16. Scratch the Hickey with a Coin
- 17. Use Garlic and Onion mixture
- 18. Eat a lot of Oranges or Orange Juice
- 19. Apply Cocoa Butter to the Hickeybu
- 20. Squeeze a Fresh Potato to the Hickey
- 21. Apply Margarine into the Affected Part
- 22. Use Cockles to Get Rid of a Hickey
- 23. Eat lots of Strawberries
- 24. Apply Baking Soda Solution
- 25. Apply Pepper Oil to the Hickey
- 26. Use a Lipstick Cap or Pen Cap
- 27. Get rid of a Hickey with Chapstick Cap
- 28. Roll a Hot Water Bottle on the Hickey
- 29. Massage the hickey with a Frozen Spoon
- 30. Take Zinc to Fade Your Hickey
- 31. Massage the Hickey with Tea bags
- 32. Apply Witch Hazel to the Hickey
- 33. Massage Pineapple into the Hickey
- 34. Drink a Lot of Parsley Juice
- 35. Cure the Hickey with Arnica balsam
- 36. Brush the Hickey with a Toothbrush
- 37. Apply Fresh Meat to the Hickey
- 38. Use Iodine Solution
- 39. Apply White tooth paste
- 40. Get Rid of a Hickey with Solarium or Sunbath
- 41. Use Medicine to Get Rid of a Hickey
- How to Hide a Hickey
What is a hickey?
To best understand how you can quickly and easily remove a hickey, you need to first know what it is. A hickey or hickie is sometimes referred to as a love bite or a kiss mark. As its names suggest, it is an inflammation on the skin caused by damaged blood vessels after being bitten by your lover. It may also be caused by aggressive kissing or sucking of the soft tissues of the skin, especially around the neck or in the upper arm. Blood leaks from the ruptured blood vessels and spreads into the adjacent tissues. The blood then form clots in the tissues, making the affected area look bruised. Initially, the bruise appears as a red mark but may later turn brown or purple. This color tends to persist for long. Some people find having a hickey fun, while others find it quite annoying.
How long do hickeys last?
How long does it take for a hickey to heal? Hickeys are not permanent marks. They fade away with time without leaving any scar behind. Hickeys typically last from a few days to weeks when untreated. They may delay to fade because of some reasons:
- How Severe the hickey is –The extent of damage to the blood vessels will definitely affect the time it takes to heal and fade away completely. Some hickeys are more harsh and deep than others and will take longer to disappear.
- Your State of health – Your state of health will also affect how long your hickey will last. Your hickey is likely to fade away faster if you have excellent health than when you have poor health
Ways of getting rid of a hickey Fast
Having a hickey on your face, neck or forehead may attract unnecessary attention and fierce excitement from people around you. This may be rather annoying and embarrassing to you. You might need to find an effective way of getting rid of the hickey the soonest and save yourself from such distressing chuckle. This post discusses the best ways to get rid of hickeys. But just how do you get rid of a hickey. Different people will find different methods suitable for them, depending on the location of the hickey, severity of the hickey or the availability of the removal agents to be used.
1. Apply a Cold Compress (ice)
If you want to get rid of a hickey fast, use ice cubes to get a cold compress on the hickey. Cold compress can remove your hickie in a night, if it is not a severe one.
- Put some ice cubes in a thin plastic container and gently apply the cold compress to the hickey for about 20 minutes.
- Instead of a plastic container, you could wrap the ice cubes in piece of cotton material or your towel. You should cover the ice cubes with something as they may cut your skin if applied directly onto it. Do not apply the cold compress in case the hickey is on organs, as they may be damaged.
- Remove the cold compress for some minutes and repeat the process. Do this again and again.
2. Apply a Warm Compress
This method is used to get rid of a hickey that has lasted for at least 2 days (48 hours). By this time, damaged vessels have healed. The redness is the blood that has pooled under your skin. Naturally, this blood is gradually scattered and reabsorbed into the body. Massaging the affected area with warm water facilitates more blood flow into the area. This disperses the collected blood rapidly, making the hickey fade away faster.
- Place a warm compress on the area for about 20 minutes
- You may use a towel soaked in hot water in case you do not have a warm compress.
Note: You should not use warm compress before 48 hours elapse since getting the hickey. This will only worsen it. The damaged vessels might have not healed properly. Increasing blood flow in the affected area would only mean more blood flowing out of the burst capillaries making the hickey more conspicuous.
3. Use Finger Massage to Remove the Hickey
You can get rid of love bites overnight by massaging it with your finger. Massaging a hickey helps disintegrate blood clots to decrease its appearance. Also, it increases blood circulation in the affected area. This speeds up the healing process.
- Place your thumb at the center of the hickey. Apply some pressure on it as you slowly drag it towards the outer edges of the hickey.
- You could also massage it by rubbing your two fingers in a circular motion over the hickey. Rub them in one direction and then the opposite direction after a minute or two.
- Repeat the procedure many times the whole day.
4. Apply Cabbage Leaves to the Hickey
To begin with, cabbage leaves may help a lot in reducing the conspicuousness of a hickey. Besides, they may assist in making it heal faster. Also, cabbage contains minerals and vitamins, which may help reduce swelling in the affected area.
To get rid of a hickey with cabbage leaves, do the following:
Soften cabbage leaves and apply them to the affected area. Leave the cabbage leaves on the affected area for at least an hour. You may need to repeat this process for better results. To increase the healing speed, apply and leave the cabbage leaves on the affected area overnight.
Instead of softened cabbage leaves, you may extract cabbage juice from the leaves and make a paste out of it. Apply the paste and allow it to dry on the area affected by the hickey before washing it away.
5. Massage the Hickey with Apple Vinegar
Not so many people know the use of apple vinegar to alleviate infection, swelling and bruises. Soak a compress or a cotton pad in vinegar. Gently massage the affected part of the skin with the compress to relieve pain and swelling and fade it away.
Note: Avoid getting vinegar in your eyes.
6. Apply Peppermint to the Affected Area
Do you want to remove your hickie quickly? Peppermint promotes blood circulation and helps repair damaged capillary vessels in the body. Hence it is very effective agent of treating hickeys fast. It works best if used soon after getting the hickey.
- Gently apply a little peppermint to the affected area. You should not use peppermint more than once in a day as it may irritate your skin. Note that there may be a tingling feeling after applying peppermint but this should not be a cause for worry as it will fade away after some time.
- In case you do not have peppermint, you can use peppermint-based toothpaste. Gently apply the layer of paste on the affected area and leave it there for some time. It will cause tingling. Wipe off the paste with a piece of cloth soaked in warm water as soon as the tingling stops. Use this method only once per day to avoid irritating your skin.
7. Cover the Hickey with a Banana Peel
The soothing and cooling properties which banana peels have can help heal your hickey fast. Follow the following procedure to eliminate the hickey with a banana peel.
- Cut a fresh piece of a ripe banana peel such that it is roughly same size as your hickey.
- Cover the hickey with the inside of the peel for about 10 to 30 minutes.
- Repeat this two to three times per day to fade away the hickey faster.
8. Roll a Warm Egg on the Hickey
Use of eggs is one easy and popular home remedy for getting rid of love bites. However, eggs can only be used to remove the hickey if it is a minor one. So before employing this traditional method, check that the hickey is not serious. Furthermore, ensure that the bruised skin does not have cuts. On ascertaining that the hickey is a minor one:
- Put an egg in cooking pot with water.
- Heat the water until the egg becomes hard-boiled.
- Remove the egg from the cooking pot and let cool a bit.
- While still warm, roll the egg on the hickey continuously until it becomes cool.
- Repeat this procedure at least three times per day.
Note: You may use the egg with the shell or without the shell. In case you want it without the shell, remove the shell before rolling it on the hickey.
The heat from the egg and the massaging effect of rolling the egg on the hickey relieve pain and increases blood circulation. This reduces blood clots in the hickey, making it fade away and disappear.
9. Cover the Hickey with Poultice of Mustard
This is a very easy method of removing a hickey. Just make a poultice of mustard. Spread it on a piece of cloth. Cover the hickey with the piece of cloth such that the poultice is in contact with the hickey.
Mustard will help draw blood clot away from the hickey and hence improve circulation in the affected area. As a result, the bruise will die away and disappear. Furthermore, mastered helps relieve pain and swelling.
10. Cover the Hickey with Coffee Powder
Coffee powder works well on hickeys, especially those around the eyes. Bandage coffee powder onto the hickey for about one hour to alleviate it and fade it away.
11. Massage Fresh Turmeric into the Hickey
Turmeric is one of the most effective natural methods of getting rid of hickeys. Many people are now using turmeric to get rid of hickeys. Massage fresh turmeric mixed with alum into the affected area.
12. Massage Aloe Vera Extract into the Affected Area
As a natural moisturizer, aloe vera helps reduce the sensitivity caused by a hickie. It also has soothing properties. It speeds up the healing of damaged blood vessels.
- Extract aloe vera gel from its plant.
- Apply and gently massage it into the bruise two to three times a day.
- You may want to use aloe vera based cream instead of gel in case you cannot get the aloe vera plant.
13. Apply Alcohol to the Affected Area
Alcohol may be the right agent to get rid of your hickey. It has cooling and soothing properties that help heal the hickey fast. Besides, it is a good disinfectant, the more reason it works best.
- Apply the alcohol to the affected area using a cotton ball. Massage the area for some time to ease the discomfort.
- Repeat the procedure many times a day for one to two days.
Note: Since alcohol may dry your skin, apply some lotion on the area to moisturize it.
14. Consume a Lot of Vitamin C or Apply it on the Hickey
Vitamin C assists in the repair of body tissues. It, therefore, comes handy in treating hickeys since they are caused by damaged tissues. You can use vitamin C supplements or get them from fresh oranges.
15. Eat Lots of Vitamin K or Apply it on the Hickey
Vitamin K is well known to function as an anticoagulant i.e. it prevents blood clots. It can therefore be very instrumental in treating hickeys and bruises. For best results:
- Apply vitamin K rich lotion or cream to the hickey and the surrounding area. For effective results the application should be done two to three times a day.
- Use vitamin K supplants to speed up the healing of the hickey.
- Consume more foods rich in vitamin K especially dark green leafy vegetable e.g. kale, spinach, mastered greens, beet greens, Swiss chard and turnip greens.
16. Scratch the Hickey with a Coin
Stretch the area of the skin that is affected by the hickey. Hold a coin at an angle and scratch the affected area with the ridge of the coin. You need to scratch strongly enough to get results. However, do not apply too much pressure on the coin as you scratch. This may cause injuries to your skim.
17. Use Garlic and Onion mixture
A mixture of garlic and onion could be used to eliminate redness and swelling and heal your hickey fast. To get quick results, get equal proportions of onion, garlic and salt. Chop the onion and garlic separately. Combine them and add the salt. Mix them thoroughly to obtain a uniform paste of the ingredients. You could use a blender to facilitate the mixing of the ingredients. Place some of paste on a piece of cloth or cotton wool. Compress the paste onto the affected area.
To prevent burns that may damage your skin:
- Cover the hickey and the surrounding area with fabric and compress the paste over it.
- Ensure that the compress does not last for more than 10 minutes.
- The compress should not be done more than once.
18. Eat a lot of Oranges or Orange Juice
Orange juice is very rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C helps synthesize collagen and other substances which strengthen skin and blood vessels. This enables fast and easy healing of bruises. Besides, Vitamin C has skin lightening properties which can help fade away the hickey faster. If used timely, oranges can eliminate hickies quickly. To get the best results:
- Drink fresh orange juice immediately you get or notice a hickey to speed the healing process.
- Instead of drinking the juice, cut an orange and apply the cut surface directly onto the affected area.
19. Apply Cocoa Butter to the Hickeybu
Cocoa butter can be a very successful healing agent for bruises, including hickeys. It moisturizes the skin and stimulates the repair of damaged skin tissues.
- Apply cocoa butter to the affected area and massage the area for a while.
- To increase its effectiveness, apply cocoa butter after a warm compress.
You can use olive oil or almond oil if you can’t get cocoa butter.
20. Squeeze a Fresh Potato to the Hickey
A potato has many medicinal properties. It is efficient when used to treat hickeys and other bruises.
- Cut a fresh potato and squeeze the cut surface onto the hickey for about 20 minutes. This will apply the juice on the hickey.
- Using another fresh cut potato, repeat the above procedure.
- Do this procedure for an hour every day until the hickey disappears.
Note: Use fresh and ripe potatoes only. Do not use green ones as they may be toxic. Equally, avoid rotten ones as they may contain harmful germs.
21. Apply Margarine into the Affected Part
It goes without saying that you may often get a hickey in sensitive areas such as on the breast or belly. Use of ice, cold compress or warm compress may not be appropriate in such sensitive parts. There is a way out still – use margarine. Apply margarine into the affected area to relieve pain and swelling. Besides it will help speed up fading away the hickey.
22. Use Cockles to Get Rid of a Hickey
For a long time now, cockles have been used to cure blood congestion and bruises caused by impacts as a result of falling or being hit by something. Always keep cockle shells so that they may help you heal a hickey quickly, just in case you get one.
23. Eat lots of Strawberries
You could also use strawberries. They contain much salicylic acid which has a strong blood dissolving effect. Therefore, it can remove excessive blood from the area affected by a hickey and alleviate it. So just eat strawberries to eliminate your hickey.
24. Apply Baking Soda Solution
Backing soda can be a good remedy to your hickey when it is still fresh. Dissolve as much of the baking soda as possible in a little water. The solution will look like sour milky. Apply the creamy solution to the hickey. Wait for about 10 minutes before you wash it off.
Note: Make sure that you mix soda with pure water. In case the water happens to contain other substances, it may react with soda to produce what may be harmful to your skin. This will produce counter-productive results.
25. Apply Pepper Oil to the Hickey
Apply black pepper oil to the bruise. It will help disperse the blood clot, making the hickey fade away and disappear quickly. Pepper will also relieve pain and swelling in the hickey.
26. Use a Lipstick Cap or Pen Cap
You can also use a lipstick cap, pen cap or any small cylindrical object to massage the hickey out of your skin. Just follow this procedure:
- Get a lipstick cap, pen cap, or any suitable small cylindrical object.
- Press the cap on the hickey as you twist it such that your skin roll on it.
- Hold it in this position for about 10 minutes before releasing it.
- Repeat this procedure two to three times.
Note: Make sure you don’t hurt yourself with too much pressure.
This method makes blood clot scatter quickly. It also increases circulation around the hickey. This makes the hickey to disappear from your skin faster.
27. Get rid of a Hickey with Chapstick Cap
If you don’t know how to get rid of a hickey with chapstick, learn it here. Use of a chapstick is a method that actually works. With this method, you can get rid of the hickie in minutes.
- Take the cap off the Chapstick. The cap is what you shall use to treat the hickey.
- Put the cap right on the hickey and press hard on the cap. Do not apply too much pressure to worsen the situation.
- Twist the cap such that your skin goes round it. You can twist to half a turn or one full turn.
- Hold it in this position for ten to twenty seconds and then release. Repeat this procedure many times for about ten minutes.
28. Roll a Hot Water Bottle on the Hickey
This method is more or less the same as warm compress. Roll a hot water bottle on the area of the hickey for 10-20 minutes. Make sure that the bottle is not too hot to burn you and worsen the situation. The rolling of the bottle produces a warm massaging effect. This helps disperse the clotted blood and increase blood circulation in the area. Hence the redness of the will soon disappear.
29. Massage the hickey with a Frozen Spoon
The use of ice cubes may be too cold for you. Instead of using ice, you can use frozen spoon to get the same results.
30. Take Zinc to Fade Your Hickey
Take 50-100 mg of zinc daily to diminish your hickey. Zinc is helpful in maintaining healthy tissues. Do not take this high dose for more than two weeks without medical supervision. , and a deficiency can lead to bruising.
31. Massage the Hickey with Tea bags
Tea bags are a common and effective way to get rid of a hickey. You can use it black or green.
- Warm the tea bag in hot water for about five minutes.
- Remove it from the water and let it cool a bit – just enough for your bare skin to withstand the heat from it.
- Place it over the hickey
- Let it remain there for some time.
- Remove it once its warmth can no longer be felt on the skin
- Repeat this procedure two times a day until the hickey disappears
This method works best if your hickey is on the forehead as the compress is more effective for your skin there. The hot compress helps improve blood circulation, while the tea helps speed up the healing of damaged skin cells and blood vessels.
32. Apply Witch Hazel to the Hickey
Witch hazel has many properties that make it appropriate for getting rid of love bites. First, it contains tannins which tighten skin proteins. The resulting protective covering prevents bleeding and speeds up healing. It also has anti-inflammatory properties which help cure the pain and inflammation causes by a hickey.
- Soak a cloth in witch hazel tea.
- Apply it on your hickey for a few minutes.
- Repeat this procedure several times a day.
33. Massage Pineapple into the Hickey
This is rather a spectacular home remedy for a hickey, owing to its delicious nature. A pineapple contains a crucial enzyme called bromelain which is great in dissolving blood clots. It also alleviates pain and swelling. This enzyme is often used by doctors to treat bruises and injuries to skin. It speeds up the process of fading away hickeys by breaking down blood protein coagulate that forms it.
Massage a piece of pineapple gently into the hickey for a few minutes. Instead, you can use a cotton pad soaked in the pineapple juice. Repeat this procedure several times a day.
34. Drink a Lot of Parsley Juice
Parsley is a herb that is usually added to vegetable as salad. This herb facilitates re-absorption of blood to the damaged blood vessels in the inflamed hickey wound. This reduces the healing time of the hickey.
35. Cure the Hickey with Arnica balsam
Traditionally, arnica salve has been used to cure sore muscles, sprains, strains and bruises. A hickey is a bruise as a result of love bite. Although it is widely used to make a cream or gel to relieve pain, it can equally be used to cure your hickey. It functions by stimulating the activity of white blood cells, thereby increasing blood circulation. This in turn reduces the time required for the hickey to disappear.
36. Brush the Hickey with a Toothbrush
Use a new toothbrush with stiff bristles to gently brush the hickey and the surrounding area. This will help to stimulate blood circulation and hence fade it away. The redness and swelling may at first spread but will certainly die out after about 15 minutes. You may apply a cold compress to the area thereafter.
Depending on the severity of the hickey, you may need to repeat the procedure a number of times. However, this method may work at the first attempt if it is not a serious bruise.
Repeat the procedure if necessary. Depending on the severity of your hickey, this method may work at the first attempt or just cause the discoloration to spread a little. If you are lucky, it will help you get rid of a hickey fast.
37. Apply Fresh Meat to the Hickey
Meat! Yes, fresh meat can help remove your hickey fast. This method is appropriate for newly gotten kiss marks. Just apply a fresh piece of beef on to the affected area. Keep it there for about 15 minutes. Repeat the procedure after about 30 minutes. Remember to clean the hickey area after you are through with the procedure.
38. Use Iodine Solution
Only use week iodine solution. Soak a piece of cotton wool in the solution and apply it on the hickey. Besides making the hickey vanish much faster, iodine helps conceal it and make it less obvious as it gets treated.
39. Apply White tooth paste
White tooth paste may work well to remove your hickey. The result will be stunning if the procedure is done as soon as you get the hickey. Just smear a layer of white toothpaste on the affected skin. Wait until prickling stops. Remove the toothpaste with a sponge socked in warm water. You may need to repeat the procedure after one day if the hickey does not disappear on the first attempt.
Note: Use white toothpaste only. Do not leave it on your skin for long as it may dehydrate your skin.
40. Get Rid of a Hickey with Solarium or Sunbath
Go to solarium or to the beach for sunbath. The color of your skin will become uniform everywhere. It is a good way of hiding your hickey. However, note that going to solarium may be a bit costly. Similarly going to a beach for sunbathes may expose your hickey to all the people you find there. So try to be all alone at the beach to keep your hickie a secret.
41. Use Medicine to Get Rid of a Hickey
There are various medications that can help relieve the pain of a hickey and speed up the disappearance of a hickey.
- Aspirin: Aspirin is widely used to relieve pain. However it can also be used increase blood circulation and help make hickeys disappear faster. Aspirin thins blood, improving circulation in the body. Use aspirin twelve to twenty-four hours after you getting the hickey.
- Excedrin: Excedrin is an OTC that contains Aspirin, Caffeine, and Acetaminophen. Acetaminophen helps relieve the pain if your hickey is a serious one. On the other hand, aspirin and caffeine help to thin blood and increase circulation, hence help quicken the healing of the hickey faster
How to Hide a Hickey
Much as you may use one or more of the already discussed methods, it may be necessary to conceal the kiss marks. The methods presented need at least some time to clear your hickey. You may need to cover the hickey if you need to go somewhere – say, your place of work – before the hickey completely fades away.
If you can be a little bit more patient with hiding your hickey, it may not be necessary to remove your hickey as it will disappear with time. All you will need is to cover it until it heals on its own.
Read on to learn how to hide a hickey. You can easily hide the affected skin with makeup clothes or your hair as outline below.
1. Hide the Hickey with Makeup.
If you want to conceal your hickey, then one of the best methods is to use makeup. Makeup is the most convenient method to cover your hickey because it can be used even when the hickey is located in areas where clothes or hair may not be appropriate.
The most appropriate and effective makeup you could use to cover up your hickey is green-tinted concealer. It is tailored to diminish red tones in the skin. After applying the green-tinted concealer, apply a foundation that is a little lighter than your skin tone. This will give an overall uniform tone to your skin and successfully conceal your hickey.
2. Hide the Hickey with Your Hair
Your hair too may come handy in covering your hickey, if it is long. However, the location of the hickey may influence this way of hiding your hickey. All you need to keep in mind is that your hickey is always covered by your hair. Your day’s activities may put you in a posture that may expose the bruise.
3. Hide the Hickey with Your Clothes
The use of clothing to conceal your hickey really depends on the location of the hickey. If it is located on your neck, you may need to wear a scarf. Alternatively, you could wear shirt or blouse with a collar. Use of clothing is appropriate especially for guys since they hardly have long hair or use makeup. However you need to ensure that you do not dress inappropriately as it will only attract people’s attention more. Try to dress in a way that matches the season and occasion to save yourself from this unprecedented attention.
Even if not treated, hickeys naturally get healed in about a week or two. Consult your health care provider if your hickey does not go away after two weeks, just in case there may be other health issues.
If somehow the people around you notice your hickey, find a quick excuse. Just tell them that you were hit by a projectile or some other object. They don’t have to believe you, the point is to ease the wild excitement that may arise if they confirm that it is a love bite.
Lastly, I hope you got a suitable and convenient way of removing your hickey in the methods listed above. In case you have any other useful way of getting rid of a hickey, do not hesitate to share it in the comments section below. It will certainly go a long way to help others deal with their hickeys.