What is a blood blister? Can you get a blood blister on your finger or under your nails? Explore pictures of blood blister on finger, including those under nails. Get insight into the common causes of blood blisters on finger. Learn how to get rid of them by treatment and use of home remedies. In addition, discover the preventive measures you can take to avoid getting blood blisters on your finger and under your nails.
Summary of Page Contents
- What Is a Blood Blister?
- Causes of Blood Blisters on Finger
- Pictures of Blood Blister on Finger
- Blood Blister on Thumb
- Blood Blister on Finger Tip
- Blood blisters Under Nail or Fingernail 880 320
- Tiny, Small, Large or Giant Blood Blisters on Finger
- How Long Does a Blood Blister on Finger Take to Heal
- Red, Black or Purple Blood Blister on Finger
- How to Get Rid of Blood Blister on Finger
- Home Remedies for Blood Blisters on Fingers
- 1. Cold Compress for Blood Blister on Finger
- 2. Turmeric for Blood Blister on Finger
- 3. Cucumber for Blood Blister on Finger
- 4. Aloe Vera for Blood Blister on Finger
- 5. Sandalwood for Blood Blister on Finger
- 6. Witch Hazel for Blood Blister on Finger
- 7. Tea Tree Oil for Blood Blister on Finger
- 8. Garlic Oil for a Blood Blister on Finger
- 9. Ginger for Blood Blister on Finger
- 10. Black Tea for Blood Blister on Finger
- 11. Chamomile for Blood Blister on Finger
- 12. Epsom salts for Blood Blister on Finger
- Treatment for Blood Blisters on Fingers
- Home Remedies for Blood Blisters on Fingers
- How to Prevent Blood Blisters on Finger
- Sources and References
What Is a Blood Blister?
A blood blister is a blister that is basically filled with blood and hence looks red, black or purple. In a nutshell, it is simply a blood filled blister. However, a blood blister does not contain blood only. It also has some lymph, serum and other body fluids.
A blood blister is usually formed when the tissue under the skin gets damaged without the skin itself breaking. As a result, there is internal blood bleeding under the skin. The blood flows from the surrounding tissues into the damaged area but remains trapped under the skin. The skin above the injured area balloons outwards as more blood flow into the area. This results in a usually raised red bump on the skin.
Blood blisters are also common in mouth, cheeks, gum or on the tongue. Other areas that may be affected by blood blisters include your toes, scrotum and labia.
Causes of Blood Blisters on Finger
- Injuries on Body
Probably, injury is the common cause of blood blisters on finger. The injuries usually involve pinching, impact and rubbing. However, they may also be caused by burns and frostbite.
- Friction: Friction on your fingers may occur when you use your hands to handle hand tools. A good example is getting blood blisters on your fingers during digging or shoveling of soil with hoes or shovels. Friction may also occur when you lift push or pull loads heavy loads constantly.
- Frostbite: During winter, you may sustain frost bites. The injuries resulting from frost bites may cause blood blisters on your fingers. Usually, the blood blisters caused by frostbite appears about 2 days after frost bites. Frostbite may result in both flat and raised blood blisters
- Impact: You may also get a blood blister out of forceful impacts your finger. This may happen when a heavy object or tool falls on your fingers. You may also accidentally hit yourself with a tool. In case the injury is such that the skin does not break, a blood blister may develop.
- Twists: Occasionally, you may twist your fingers accidentally as you use hand tools, especially when the finger is accidentally held in a hand tool. This may lead to an injury that may cause a blood blister to form.
- Inadequate Nutrition
Inadequate nutrition may also lead to the formation of blood blisters in your fingers. If your diet is insufficient in vitamins, especially vitamin C and B12, you may get blood blister on your finger even out of a mild bruise. “Vitamin C deficiency can lead to scurvy” [Mayo Clinic] the signs and symptoms of scurvy include bleeding under the skin. Clearly, this can cause blood blisters to form.
- Decreased Platelets
Platelets play a very important role in the body. They stimulate blood clotting to stop excessive bleeding when you sustain injuries. In case you have low platelets levels blood is likely to flow under your skin even when you get a mild injury. As more and more blood leaks under the skin, it balloons and makes the skin to bulge outwards. Often, blood blisters that form this way are not painful since the injury to your sin is just mild.
- Medication side effects
Blood blisters may also form on your fingers as a result of the side effects of certain medications. Often, the side effects of these drugs manifest themselves as allergic reactions that lead to the formation of blood blisters.
- Allergic Reactions
Some substances may cause allergic reactions if they come into contact with your fingers. Usually, this may affect certain individuals but not others.
Formation of blood blisters on your fingers may be an indication that your immunity is weak. Since one of the main caused of weak immunity is HIV/AIDS, blood blister may be a sign of AIDS.
Diabetes manifests in many symptoms in various parts of your body. Diabetes may lead to the formation of blood blister that is usually stubborn and recurring.
- Celiac Disease
This is a condition that makes your body be intolerable to gluten. In case you eat gluten, the body may react to it and as a result blood blisters may b formed anywhere on your body including your fingers.
- Bacterial Infections
In case your fingers get infected with bacteria, blood blisters may form on them
- Fungal infections
Fungal infections on your fingers may also result in the formation of blood blisters on your fingers.
Pictures of Blood Blister on Finger
We have included informative pictures at relevant sections throughout our post. The images will help you recognize and understand blood blisters if you happen to get any. Using these pictures, you will be able to compare your skin problem to find out if indeed it a blood blister.
Blood Blister on Thumb
You are more likely to get a blood blister on your thumb than the other fingers due to its location and disposition. For example, hitting the thumb is more probable as you knock something with a hammer mallet or other hand tools.
Blood Blister on Finger Tip
Blood blisters are also common on finger tips. The likely causes of blood blisters on the finger tips are injuries due to burns and frostbites and impacts. Naturally, the tip of your finger is the first part to reach harmful substances or objects. Probably, this is why they tend to get blood blisters more frequents.
Blood blisters Under Nail or Fingernail 880 320
This another common part of your finger where you might get blood blisters often. Usually, the blood blisters under your fingernails are as a result of impact injury of your nail. However, you may get a blood blister under your nail if it is accidentally twisted ripped backward.
Normally, blood blisters under the nail usually take longer to heal. Since the injury is under the nail, it might be difficult to apply medical substances to it directly. Often, the blood blister dries up upon healing by remains visible under the nail.
However, the blood stain under the nail keeps moving towards the fingertip as the nail grows. Eventually, the entire part of the nail that was affected grows out of the finger and you end having a clear fingernail again.
Tiny, Small, Large or Giant Blood Blisters on Finger
The size of blood blister that form of fingers ranges from tiny ones to giant blood blisters. Usually, tiny of small blood blisters are caused by underlying health problems. On the other hand, large or giant blood blister are commonly caused by injuries on your fingers.
How Long Does a Blood Blister on Finger Take to Heal
It takes between one week and one month for a blood blister to heal. Normally, the actual time taken for a blood blister to heal depends on its severity. However, the time taken for the blood blister to heal may also be influenced by the following factors:
- Size: A bigger blood blister will take longer to heal than a smaller one.
- Immunity: The healing duration may vary for different individuals due to the status of their immunity and their body predisposition to recovery.
- Cause: In addition, the cause of the blood blister may influence the time it takes to heal. For example, if the blood blister on your finger is caused by underlying health problems, it may only heal after the underlying issues have been addressed.
- Location: Also, the position of the blood blister on the finger may determine the period it will take to heal. For example, if the blood blister is under your fingernail, it may take slightly longer to heal.
- Treatment: Finally, in case the blood blister is treated, it will definitely heal faster as compared to when it is left to heal on its own.
Red, Black or Purple Blood Blister on Finger
The color of the blood blister you get on your finger depends on the severity of the severity of the injury you got. It may also depend on how long the blood blister has lasted. A freshly form blood blister is often red in color. As time goes by, the blood trapped in the blister may clot. In the process of clotting, it may first turn purple. Later, it may turn black.
How to Get Rid of Blood Blister on Finger
You can get rid of your blood blister on finger with various home remedies if it is not severe. This is recommended only if you are sure that the blood blisters are not caused by underlying health issues. For example, when the blood blister is as arrest of an injury, them home remedies can be used to treat it.
However, if your blood blister is severe or you suspect that there are underlying health issues causing it, visit a qualified health practitioner to treat it. The doctor may carry out tests and give you the necessary advice, besides treating your blood blister.
Home Remedies for Blood Blisters on Fingers
Probably, a home remedy is the first measures you are likely to take in order to deal with a blood blister on your finger. In view of this, we have presented great and effective home remedies for blood blisters on finger. However, remember to apply the home remedies at the earliest opportunity mitigate hurting and prevent infections.
Generally, these blood blisters will reduce pain, soothe inflammation and prevent the blood blister from becoming infected. As a result, the blood blister will hurt less heal faster. However, in case your blood blister gets infected, seek medical attention immediately. Use the following home remedies to get rid of a blood blister on your finger.
1. Cold Compress for Blood Blister on Finger
Cold compress is an effective and excellent remedy for a blood blister on your finger. In fact, it is the first approach you should use immediately you get or notice a blood blister on your finger. First, cold compress will constrict the blood vessels on the blood blister. In consequence, this will stop more blood from bleeding into the affected area. Also, a cold compress will relieve pain and swell in the affected region. As a result, the blood blister will heal faster. For best results use an ice bag to apply a cold compress as outlined below
- Place the ice pack on the blood blister for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the ice pack from the blood blister when you cannot stand the cold anymore. Apply it again after some time. Do this again and again.
- Repeat the whole procedure several times a day to heal your blood blister faster.
Note: In case you do not have an ice pack, you can place the ice cubes in a polythene bag and wrap it in a towel or a piece of cloth. You will then use it in the procedure instead of the ice pack.
Caution: Do not apply the ice cubes directly on the blood blister. Possibly, this may result in ice burn and worsen the situation.
2. Turmeric for Blood Blister on Finger
Turmeric has many therapeutic and antiseptic properties. Turmeric is a widely used a remedy for many skin problems. When used to treat blood blisters, turmeric prevents infections and soothes pain and inflammation. This speeds the healing process of the blood blister.
- Add a little turmeric powder into a container with water or honey to make a paste
- Apply the turmeric paste on the blood blister
- Repeat this procedure three times per day for a few days to heal the blood blister
- Alternatively, add a tea spoon of turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk and drink it before bed daily.
3. Cucumber for Blood Blister on Finger
The main medicinal component of cucumber that helps heal blood blisters is silica. This mineral exists in traces in cucumber. It plays an important role in strengthening the tissues that hold the skin together. Clearly, this will stop further internal bleeding in the blood blister. Cucumber also contains other medicinal properties that help soothe the blister and reduce pain and inflammation.
- Chill a cucumber in a refrigerator for a few minutes
- Cut a slice across the cucumber
- Place the cut slice on the cucumber for a few minutes
- Repeat this procedure many times per day for a few days
- Alternatively, drink one glass of fresh cucumber juice twice per day
4. Aloe Vera for Blood Blister on Finger
Aloe Vera has rich medicinal properties that help heal many health problems. When used on a blood blister, it effectively alleviates inflammation. Also, it produces a cooling effect on the blood blister thereby relieving pain.
- Extract aloe Vera gel from a fresh aloe Vera leaf.
- Apply the gel on the blood blister and leave it to dry on it
- Repeat this procedure twice every day for a few day to get rid of the blood blister
Note: You can use aloe vera juice from market if you cannot get a fresh aloe Vera leaf
5. Sandalwood for Blood Blister on Finger
Sandalwood too is an excellent home remedy for blood blisters on finger. When it is applied on the blood blister, it produces a cooling effect. This way, the pain on the blood blister reduced. Furthermore, sandalwood eases inflammation and thereby healing the blood blister faster.
- Prepare a thick paste of sandalwood powder with rose water
- Apply the paste on the blood blister
- Leave it to dry on the blood blister
- Repeat this procedure many times in a day for a few days to heal the blood blister.
6. Witch Hazel for Blood Blister on Finger
Witch hazel has an astringent that helps shrink body tissues. It is also an anti-inflammatory agent. When you apply it to the blood blister on your finger, it will shrink it. In addition, it will constrict the blood vessels and stop the internal bleeding causing it. Besides, it will sooth the pain and swell in the blood blister. As a result, the blood blister will heal quickly.
- Prepare an extract from fresh witch hazel leaves.
- Apply the extract on the blood blister
- Leave it to dry of the blood blister
- Repeat this procedure three times a day for one week or until the blood blister heals.
7. Tea Tree Oil for Blood Blister on Finger
Tea tree oil has a spectrum of medicinal properties that will effectively help get rid of your blood blister fast. It will protect your blood blister from fungal and bacterial infections. Furthermore, it will reduce inflammation on the blood blister making less hurting and heal faster.
- Add a little water into tea tree oil in a container to dilute it
- Dip a piece of cotton wool into the dilute solution to soak it
- Gently massage the cotton wool on the blister and let it stay for 10 minutes
- Rinse off the tea tree oil with cold water
- Do this again twice daily until the blister heals in a few days.
8. Garlic Oil for a Blood Blister on Finger
Garlic is an important home remedy for bruises and lesions. If has antiseptic properties that prevent infections on skin lesions by eliminating bacteria and fungi and inhibiting their growth. To get the best results on a blood blister, use garlic oil. However, you can still use crushed cones of garlic.
- Warm garlic oil to room temperature
- Gently apply the oil on the blood blister
- Wash off the oil with water after about 15 minutes
- Repeat this procedure twice a day for a couple of days
9. Ginger for Blood Blister on Finger
Ginger is a very useful home remedy for many skin problems, including blood blisters. It helps relieve inflammation and pain. Besides, it has antiseptic properties that prevent the blood blister from being infected. Consequently, it speeds up the healing process of the blood blister.
- Extract ginger juice by steeping ginger slices in a cup of hot water
- Remove the slices and let the juice cool to room temperature
- Dab it gently onto the blood blister
- Repeat this several times a day for a couple of days
10. Black Tea for Blood Blister on Finger
Black tea has natural acidic properties that help heal the blood blisters faster. Besides, it helps in making the skin tougher and hence prevent the blood blister from becoming worse.
- Moisten a black tea bag with little water
- Place it in a refrigerator for about half an hour
- Gently massage the cold moist tea bag on the blister for 5 minutes
- Repeat this procedure two times per day for about two weeks for the blood blister to heal
11. Chamomile for Blood Blister on Finger
Chamomile has medicinal properties that relieve pain and inflammation. Also, chamomile has astringent properties that help strengthen connective skin tissues. It has been traditionally used to cure various skin problems, including ulcers, canker sores, bruises and buns.
Prepare a paste from chamomile flowers and water.
- Apply the paste to the blood blister
- Leave it on the blood blister for about 15 minutes
- Wash it off with water
- Repeat this procedure twice daily for a few day to heal the blood blister.
12. Epsom salts for Blood Blister on Finger
Epsom salt is chemically referred to as magnesium sulfate. It is a very helpful home remedy for many skin problems, including blood blisters. Epsom salt not only relives pain and swelling of the blood blister but also helps dry it. Also, it has antiseptic properties that prevent infections on the blood blister. As a result, the blood blister heals much faster.
- Make a paste of Epsom salt with warm water
- Gently dab the paste onto the blood blister
- After about 15 minutes, wash off the paste
- Do this 2 to 3 times per day
Treatment for Blood Blisters on Fingers
In case your blood blisters keep are very painful, coming back or you think they are infected, visit your doctor. The doctor may carry out tests give you appropriate treatment. Treatment of blood blisters may entail:
- Prescription of Antibiotics
- Treating of underlying health problems
How to Prevent Blood Blisters on Finger
- Be careful about Injuries: Injuries are probably the main causes of blood blisters on finger, especially those under fingernails. So, be very careful and cautious to avoid getting injuries on your fingers. You need to be even more cautious if your occupation involves regular use of your hands. Also, be careful while using hand tools in case your job entails frequent use of hand tools
- Adequate Nutrition: Eat a balanced diet to avoid nutrition deficiency. If you are already having blood blisters on your fingers, or other parts, emphasize on foods that make up for the nutrients which are not enough in your body. If the inadequacy is serious, talk to your doctor to prescribe nutrient supplements for you. This will help you regain the insufficient nutrients quickly. However, you should continue having a balanced diet to avoid reverting back to you earlier condition.
- Avoid Allergies: Avoid as much as you can subjecting your hands and fingers to conditions and substances you are allergic to. In case your occupation subjects you to these factors, consider moving to another section or even getting a different job.
- Safe sexual contact: Avoid engaging in sexual activities with many different people. Remember that you may contract some diseases by engaging in oral sex. Alternatively, always practice protected sex and safe sexual activities. Otherwise, you may end up contracting HIV/AIDS or other STDs which may lead to blood blisters and other health issues and complications.
- Observe Good Hygiene: Observe proper hygienic practices to avoid contracting viral and fungal infections that may lead to the formation of blood blisters on your fingers. Avoid touching suspicious matter directly with your hands. Also, wash your hands with disinfectants immediately after you engage in jobs that subject your hands to suspicious conditions.
- Use hand gloves: Always use hand gloves when dealing using hand tools to avoid or mitigate injuries to your hands and fingers. Similarly, used hygiene gloves when handling suspicious or dirty matter to avoid contracting bacterial and fungal diseases, which may cause blood blisters on your fingers.
- Treat underlying Causes: Obviously, you may not successfully treat blood blisters on your fingers in case the cause is underlying issues. In case you are suffering diseases or conditions that are the underlying reasons of your blood blisters, have them treated by qualified health practitioners.
Sources and References
- What causes a blood blister on finger? http://healthool.com/blood-blister-on-finger/
- Blisters: Causes, Treatments and Prevention: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/264783.php
- Top Home Remedies On How To Get Rid Of Blood Blisters: http://www.wordsiseek.com/home-remedies-get-rid-blood-blisters/
- How to Get Rid of Blood Blisters: http://www.top10homeremedies.com/how-to/how-to-get-rid-of-blood-blisters.html
- Effective Home Remedies for Blood Blisters: http://www.rapidhomeremedies.com/remedies-for-blood-blisters.html
- Blood Blister on Finger: http://www.med-health.net/Blood-Blister-On-Finger.html